Just saw today google translation tool, nice to see effort they have done for hindi-to-english and english-to-hindi
playing with it just 5 min gave me following results:
While doing from Hindi-to-english
i/p: तुम कौन हो -> What you have
expected result: who are you
i/p: मे घर जा रहा हु -> Hu is in the home ->
expected result: I am going home
While doing from english-to-Hindi
i/p: who are you -> आप जो कर रहे हैं
expected result: तुम कौन हो
i/p: go away -> दूर
expected result:दूर जा
so i found its accuracy something around 20-30% for sentence. It is good for single word.
while speaking about translation from english-hindi and hindi-english is really very tough job, since
1. For single english word there are lots of hindi words available so its really difficult for tool to understand, It need manual editing for improving accuracy.
2. Meaning of words keeps on changing according to statement while changing from english to hindi
3. Structure of sentence, if you observe carefully, 'is' 'was' comes in the middle of english sentence same translated things comes in the last part of hindi sentence.
4. Determining sex of sentence is a tedious task
Statement "I am going" this statement have two forms depending upon who actually speaking it
male "मे जा रहा हु" Female : "मे जा रही हु"
This can be achieve only if we know who is actually speaking it from previous statements else we need manual editing.
5. Most Important thing it need strong dictionary in the background for all these comparisons and should have all possibles words for particular word.
Good to see google tried it, some more work will definitely improve it lot!!!